Newcrest is committed to the safety, health and well-being of all people involved in our business and recognises that we will only achieve our vision of zero injury when:
• we believe that all injuries are preventable
• we continually strive to improve our health and safety management systems and practices
• we value consultation and engagement with all personnel in improving our performance
• safe behaviour is a condition of employment
• we accept responsibility for the occupational health and safety of our people, and we all accept responsibility for our personal safety and health and that of others
• we provide effective training and the right equipment for people to work safely
• controlling risk and ensuring health and safety is a key part of every decision
• we promote off the job safety and support the wellness of our people
Our health and safety strategy is built on three key pillars – NewSafe, Critical Control Management, and Process Safety Management. The strategy builds on a strong foundation of group-wide systems and standards which have been implemented in recent years.
NewSafe is Newcrest’s next step in building our safety culture. There are three components to NewSafe – NewSafe Leadership which focusses on building safety leadership at all levels; NewSafe Coaching which specifically supports our frontline supervisors; and NewSafe Behaviours which takes our employees and contractors through a process to identify the most important safety behaviours in their area, and uses a behavioural influencing model to formulate their own plan to enable and motivate these behaviours.
Building on a solid foundation of major hazard risk assessments which Newcrest has undertaken for many years, our critical control management approach focusses on verifying the operation of the controls we have identified as being critical to preventing fatalities and life-altering injuries.
Completing our strategic approach is a continual improvement focus on Process Safety Management, an area of safety management which is primarily concerned with preventing high-consequence catastrophic events.
Keeping our people healthy and safe is a core value for Newcrest.